Where do you start when wanting to build your first website or even re-building your existing website?
Today you’ll get to geek out and learn about website platforms which is the technology used as the base for building your website and I’m talking specifically about content management systems (CMS).
They’re pretty popular for building websites because for the most part, you don’t have to know programming, have a degree in graphic design or start a website from scratch. I mean, why re-invent the wheel, right?
In the video below, you’ll learn about 7 popular platforms and their pros and cons. If it sounds confusing, don’t worry, as you’ll see in a series of upcoming articles, where I get more specific with much of the terminology including video demonstrations.
In full transparency, I’m not getting paid to do any of these reviews, they are based on my personal opinion, experience, and from talking to others who used these platforms. The best advice is to research based on the resource list I’m providing and see what “feels” good to you.
Platforms Mentioned in Video
- Squarespace – $16-$46 per month
- Wix – Basic is $5-$29 per month, Business and eCommerce is $20-$35 per month
- Shopify – $29 – $299 per month
- Drupal – free, extensions are free and for sale
- Joomla – free, extensions are free and for sale
- WordPress.com – free and paid ($5-$59 per month)
- WordPress.org – free, plugins are free and for sale
- WooCommerce – free plugin with free and paid addons
- LearnDash – commercial plugin with free and paid addons
I’d love to know in the comment below which platform you would consider using to build or re-build your website.
I help female business owners build, manage and grow their first website fast, so it looks custom and high end without the tech overwhelm.
Website Designer, Developer and Coach